Defining a keyword strategy represents the main activity at the beginning of a SEO process and a good SEO strategy comes only after a massive research. Whether you start building a website from the beginning or you’re working on an already built site, keyword strategy is defining. A superficial research of keywords only brings disadvantages.
In today’s article, based on advice from international experts, we will attempt to find answers about the manner in which you should develop a SEO strategy and the necessary tools to complete the strategy around which the entire process of optimization revolves.
Identifying the keywords in your site will help you better unkderstand the audience that you relate to, potential customers and thus identify the direction in which to develop your site over time.
On top of the list with the used tools for developing a keyword strategy we have Google AdWords Keyword Tool.
This tool is one of the best and also very easy to use. However you must keep in mind that Google Keyword Tool was designed for AdWords campaigns and for paid traffic, meaning it is not the most relevant tool for organic searches. In order to identify the most relevant keywords and phrases for organic traffic, you can use other tools that we mention in this article.
Developing a keyword strategy can last from a few hours to several days. It all depends on the complexity of the site, the studied niche, the industry and a number of other factors. You need to invest time to collect data and analyze them.
Which of the following methods do you use to create a keyword strategy? What else would you add to the list?
1. Competition analysis
- What are the keywords or phrases targeted by your competitors? Analyze them!
- Competition Analysis by links, authority, trust and specific metrics.
- On which words and phrases are you competitors positioned and where do they get traffic?
After you identified the keywords, you can search them in Google to find synonyms. The best tool that you can use for this is synonym dictionary. You can search the words in Google and Bing search to receive useful search suggestions in a future long tail strategy.
Regarding the search trends of words for long periods of time, you can use Google Trends. However, to generate data, this tool needs the introduced terms to have a significant amount of monthly searches.
2. Brainstorming for possible keywords:
- Analyze the competition
- Use SEMRush, WordStream (it will not help for Romania) and other analysis tools.
- Try to find alternative sources with which to identify relevant words and phrases
3. Analyze keywords with Google Keyword Tool
- Analyze the list of keywords with GKWT
- Filter the results and eliminate the words that do not show potential or that seem irrelevant
4. Try and estimate, taking your competition into consideration, which are the words that:
- Can be positioned within a short period of time
- Require more effort and research to position
- Require a significant investment of effort to position
- Appear, at first sight, very difficult to position
When choosing keywords for your strategy, it is essential to link some of the keywords to existing textual content, but also to the potential textual content, which will be created later on, so you can distribute them on the existing pages and on the pages that are in the process of creation.
It is also important to determine the strategy that best suits the site that you will optimize, namely:
- Selecting words with low search volume and low competition
- Selecting words with great search volume and great competition
- A combination of the strategies above
The previous steps were not presented in the order they should be followed. Each consultant has his own method to developing a keyword strategy and tools he uses.
What’s certain is the fact that this represents a significant stage of the SEO process, meaning you should not make concessions. Save a few days to document thoroughly and to analyze the online competition as best as possible. Moreover, it is not something you can change.
If, during the optimization process, you find other relevant words (and it is likely this will happen), you can add them to the strategy.