As I always like to say and repeat, SEO is an extremely complex process and Google algorithms are more and more intelligently developed.
Inside of such a multilateral developed process, changes are normal and follow a logical idea, a routine. Changes, tests, ideas, implementations are all the main elements of any SEO strategy. Also, continuous research and focus are essential.
We all know that SEO has changed, and the year 2012 was probably the most representative in this matter. We also know that every SEO specialist has his own tactics and strategies or presumptions, his own way to initiate and develop an optimization strategy.
As soon as the recommendations for “cleaning” a website that is being optimized for have been implemented (recommendations following the latest updates), such as backlinks that have no value or the variation of the anchors and the initiation of a natural process of link building, you will still have to ask yourself about the accuracy of your work as seen by Google:”Keep it as natural as you can !”
Updates always come out of nowhere, you never know when and for what reason a new penalty is introduced, thus minimizing this danger is surely one of the best things you can do in order to protect your entire long term strategy.
Below you will meet Blue Glass who tries to clarify some of the most common mistakes of SEO and also some mistakes that we’ve stumbled upon ourselves.
Focus the link building process instead of content development.
1. According to Greg Boser, Google is not a big fan of the old “link building” tactic. We know and read about this aspect in every article. But yet, it represents one of the most important aspects of the SEO process, on which there is placed a lot of emphasis.
Instead of using them as main goal, links should become a product of content marketing and our objective should shift over to luring in qualified traffic that will bring profit.
The best way to attract links is through original and useful content, and this is where you should focus your efforts.
How to act? Here are some hints:
- Become and impose yourself as an authority in your area. Earn your reputation.
- Be the first to share the updates in your field
- Interview other experts in the industry , it`s a great way to create quality content
2. Weak content
We find weak content on a daily basis, it’s not that hard to notice; content that doesn’t give enough information, with a lot of grammatical errors, uninteresting and boring, written with haste and unfortunately most of the time, written more for search engines and less for the users.
Keep practicing, spend a lot of time researching, write it naturally, advertise the advantages of the product. Give as much information as you can, write it relaxed, don’t force it because the user will notice this as soon as he starts reading. The quality of the content is what matters here and not the quantity, that’s why it’s a good idea to work with specialists from the area that you’re exploring.
It will all soon enough come to fruition, results as shares, likes, quality links, Google’s favorite elements.
Here are a few tips that you can use and will help you start writing or you could always look for a more experimented and talented copywriter:
- Write for your readers, leave the keywords and the search engine for later
- Create original content, with descriptions that will match your brand
- Diversify and alternate, include photos, sketches and graphs
- Create and be passionate about your work, be natural, it will only make your work easier for you.
3. Marketing notion misunderstood
Building links shouldn’t be your final goal. As I’ve said before, you must focus your efforts on advertising your content and in the long run, with reputation, links will surely come.
Think like a marketer, follow this 4 steps process:
- Research and find out what kind of content appeals to your audience
- Create content that will satisfy the needs of the audience
- Follow your audience’s activity, what kind of blogs does the target audience follows, what kind of talks appeal to your audience, what kind of social networks your target audience use and so on.
Subsequently to those written above, try and advertise the content you’ve created:
- Through blog conversations and comments
- Through sharing the content on social networks
- By using the power of the social networks to gain connections with influential people from your area of interest
- Contacting popular bloggers in a professional way
- Creating quality guest posts
4. The misinterpreted concept of guest blogging
Guest blogging is certainly a way to get links but it must not be thought of as easy. If you start to develop this, starting from the idea that this way you will obtain links, you could end up being completely ignored.
You must think of another strategy for guest blogging, a strategy that will highlight the value that you bring to the blog, how you aim for the needs of the audience by creating quality posts. You have the possibility to build credibility for you brand or services, to share opinions or information and even more, to create connections that will bring you benefits in the future.
How to approach guest blogging? Here are some tips:
- Read the comments you receive. It’s an easy way to find out what the audience wants, its complaints and expectations.
- Study the most popular posts and try to reach or surpass their popularity
- Start conversations and interact with the audience on social networks
5. The lack of a social network strategy
A social network strategy is needed in order to share the quality content that you’ve created. You don’t only share your content but content created by other people thus your strategy must be developed and improved.
Use these tactics:
- Take some time to study the activity of other people
- Listen, observe and try to understand the way it works
- Use a conversational language
- Try having a good time, this will surely show in your work
What are you going to gain, you’re asking? It’s pretty simple: you will gain followers, friends, likes, shares, connections and you build authority. You wonder how important is this? Very important, it’s essential!
6. The continuous concern for Google
It’s obvious how difficult is to not think about things through the algorithm perspective and not worry about the future changes of the algorithm. Always try to tell yourself how important is to see through the user’s eyes , understanding their wishes and demands. This will help you a lot.
The next step consists of a more complete and permanent research about your users. Except finding out they’re wishes, give them more possibilities for feedback, thus you will understand them better and you will be surprised about the quantity of information you will receive about how to lure them in and transform them.
How to do this?
- What are the questions that your target audience asks itself?
- What do they read?
- What TV and Radio shows do they follow?
- What are the obstacles that they face? What about the challenges?
- What are the common words and phrases that they use in online media?
- What kind of information do they find relevant?
- What kind of content do they share? What kind of content do they prefer?
Learn to know your audience like nobody does and you will fulfill all its demands! Keep up with the changes in SEO and minimize the number of mistakes !